Fur-requently Asked Questions
What should pet sitters and pet owners do if a guest pet is injured?
- We recommend that all Pawshake pet sitters ask their guests to fill out information forms (incl vet details, etc) and an emergency contact before starting a booking, so that everyone is prepared and in case the owner is not available for any reason.
- In the unlikely event that the guest pet is injured, the pet sitter should always try to contact the pet owner, or their emergency contact, before any treatment is sourced.
- Pet sitters should always try to resolve the issue directly with pet owners. In most instances, hosts and guests should be able to resolve issues on their own.
What should I do before submitting a claim?
- In the unlikely event that the guest pet is injured, the pet sitter will always try to contact the pet owner, or their emergency contact, before any treatment is sourced.
- In the event of the pet sitter or Pawshake being unable to contact the pet owner (for example because they are traveling overseas), the pet owner accepts that if their pet requires veterinary treatment, the pet owner will refund the funds to the pet sitter for any necessary treatment.
- If applicable, the pet owner will first use their own pet insurance to refund the cost of the treatment to the pet sitter. In the event of denial by the pet owner’s insurance company or if the pet owner doesn’t have a pet insurance, the pet owner will refund any veterinary bills to the pet sitter and will be entitled to file a claim with Pawshake.
How do I submit a claim?
Send us an email and provide the following information:
- booking reference number
- date and place of the incident
- name of the pet
- name and contact details of pet sitter
- detailed description of the circumstances of the accident
- photos of pet injuries and veterinary bills
- contact details of the preferred vet of the pet owner
- Pet Owner’s Pet Insurance policy number and carrier (if applicable)
Pawshake must be notified within 7 days of the end of the booking period regarding any incident that might result in insurance coverage.
How long will it take for my claim to be processed?
The length of process will vary depending on the severity of the case, the quality of documentation, and the cooperation of the host and guest, but we strive to resolve most cases within one month of their submission.
Pawshake’s Protection Coverage Details
What is eligible for coverage?
- Home dog boarding
- Day care
- Pet sitting
- Cat care
- Dog walking
- Transportation to and from a Pawshake booking by a Pawshake pet sitter
- Any pet services booked through Pawshake’s website, mobile app or reported to the Customer Care team
- Care, Custody, Control – veterinary coverage for animals in pet sitters’ care: This section provides veterinary coverage for the guest pets in the pet sitter’s care, custody or control. There is a $350 deductible for medical claims, to be covered by the pet owners. $2,500 capped limit for veterinary expenses in relation to an injury to your pet during the service. Once the full amount of money has been spent, the treatment of illness or injury won’t ever be covered again.
- Public Liability Insurance (aka Commercial General Liability) – covers pet sitters against third party claims: This section will pay the sums that pet sitters become legally obliged to pay as damages because of bodily injury to a third party person or damage to property of a third party. Claims are subjected to a $350 excess payable by the pet sitter at the time of the claim.
Wow, you’ve got us covered! But what doesn’t the Protection Program cover?
- Services booked outside of the Pawshake website or mobile app
- Damages made or medical care required during ‘Meet and Greet’ appointments or any incidents arising from a ‘Meet and Greet’ appointment. Coverage only commences during the dates of the bookings that have been confirmed via the Pawshake app or site.
- Injuries to the pet sitter and related parties (like family) caused by the guest pet
- Damage to the pet sitter's personal property (such as damage to the pet sitter’s home or vehicles)
- Damage to the pet owner's personal property (such as damage to the pet owner’s home or vehicles)
- Breach of professional duty (for example walking an animal off-leash in an area where this is reasonably considered not to be suitable). Remember to keep yourself and your furry friend safe!
- Treatment of pre-existing veterinary conditions, old age or illness of the guest pet (eg: respiratory infections, urinary tract/bladder infections, blood disorders, vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal disorders.). We stress the importance of getting as much info about your potential guest as you can, before you start pet sitting!
- Pet owner loss of wages (due to - for example - required follow up medical treatment for their pet)
- Reduction in ‘show’ value of the guest pet
- Cancellation fees or costs incurred from cancellation of a holiday or travel arrangements as a result of a booking on Pawshake
- Travel costs incurred as a result of a booking on Pawshake
- Loss of salary or wages as a result of a booking arrangement made on Pawshake
- Emotional distress caused as a result of a booking on Pawshake
Who is excluded?
- Guest pets involved in a previous attack with another animal or human that required medical treatment - this is why it’s important to get as much info as you can on your pet guest before booking!
- Guest pets who are defined as Dangerous Dogs by the relevant authorities and all claims arising from the care of such Dangerous Dogs. Pit Bull Terrier, Basset Griffon Vendeen, Tibetan Mastiff, Mastiff, American Staffordshire Terrier, Bouvier des Flandres, Leonberger, Toy Fox Terrier, South African Boerboel, Bulldog (american). This list extends to any cross breed of Dangerous Dogs by the relevant authorities.
- The pet sitter’s own pet is not covered for any damage or injuries that may be sustained during a Pawshake booking
- Commercially run Boarding Kennels
- Pet Sitters who have any criminal convictions in past 5 years (excluding traffic violations).
Pawshake does not charge any amount for this insurance.